Ballintubber Abbey – East Wing Restoration Project
Ballintubber Abbey has functioned as a centre of devotion since 1216, serving the pilgrims on Tochar Phadraig and the local communities throughout the centuries.
Back in 1992 a trust was established and charged with overseeing the redevelopment of the abbey. The trust was also charged with its operation, including running retreats, building visitor numbers and serving the local community.
Cromwellian vandalism, penal laws and vandalism in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries reduced the abbey to ruins, but the local community continued to celebrate mass there.
Partial restorations in 1879, 1966 and 1994 delivered much improved facilities of pilgrims, visitors and the local community. The trust now plans to restore the Abbey’s East Wing and will require substantial philanthropic support to make this happen.
Planning permission has been given for this latest stage in the preservation of this famous and historic abbey. Before work proceeds, the trust needs to raise $98,000 for design costs and is reaching out worldwide for support.